Blue Seat Blogs have been doing an exceptional job covering what’s going down with undrafted winger Sergey Tolchinsky.
Here’s what you should know about Tolchinsky:
- He was passed over in this June’s entry draft. It was his first year if draft eligibility.
- He is tiny. He is listed anywhere from 5’7″ to 5’9″ and from 152 to 170 lbs.
- He played last season with the Soo Greyhounds of the OHL and had 51 points (26 + 25) in 62 games.
- He is free to sign with an NHL team in which he’s attended camp with (he did so with the Rangers and Hurricanes) because he’s gone undrafted and he played in North America last season. The Greyhounds GM confirmed this. This is the same rule that allowed the Sharks to sign 18 year old Michael Sgarbossa to an entry-level contract in 2010.
- He has agreed to play with the Rangers in the Traverse City Prospects Tournament.
- He cannot play in the AHL next season as he’s a Canadian Junior player. He will have to return to the OHL next season.
- His contract, if signed before this September, would not count towards the 50 contract limit unless he plays in 10 NHL games, as his contract would slide to the following season.